Monday, November 14, 2005

1

I’m finding it increasingly hard to learn new things. It’s not that I’m unwilling to learn. It’s just that philosophy doesn’t seem to hold much interest for me anymore. I need to go and start studying something new. I consider this place as something I can flesh out my thoughts on (believe me, I know that’s nothing new) and maybe get some new ideas from other people.

Please don’t mistake this for me saying, “I know the meaning of everything” or “I’m so fucking original” because it’s precisely the opposite. I figured out that I can never know the meaning of everything. Truth can never be described. Our “reality” is objective and subjective. Therefore, portions will conceivably never be known to me (or any of us). We’re all just spiritual fishes in a metaphysical ocean. Our ripples touch one another, and help to create the waves that lap at the shore of existence. And that’s it. Or, maybe, we’re not metaphysical at all. There’s, more than likely, a completely rational explanation for everything. But, damn it, metaphors are just frameworks.

Consciousness is not a “thing” in the traditional sense. It’s not an object or a piece of energy, or particle. I don’t know what it is. I have a strong hunch that it’s interaction between matter and energy, a sort of overlapping area. An MRI can pick up the products that our consciousness throws off (or create our consciousness. Whichever it is, I’m not sure. I think it may be a logic loop) like electricity, magnetic fields, etc. The chemical interaction between lipids and electrical charges, with neuropeptides and hormones thrown into the mix, seem to create, as a byproduct, this “consciousness” us humans have such a hardon for.

Using said consciousness we create an idea. Which, in turn, creates more ideas. And more. And more. And more. Until we have (at least in our culture) a string of 26 symbols which can be arranged to signify damn near anything we want, and ten arabic symbols which can form any number we want. This enables this fun little thing called memory, where we categorize and organize experience and ideas for other people. It’s important that we all realize that. Our symbols are for communication, not to ourselves, but to others. It’s for the purposes of cohesion and cooperation.

Or, maybe, the language came first and the ideas came after. After all, we could talk before we understood the number zero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home